Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Where’s The Orchestra?

It’s been too long since my last update. I know. I’m sorry to have let down my avid readers (a.k.a my mom, sisters, Bridget and Caitlin).

Here’s my excuse: Since you heard from me last, I have been binging on Baltimore. It’s hard learning New York lessons from the piano god if you’re spending all your time eating crab cakes and talking about how National Bohemian really isn’t that bad of a beer…


But I digress.

Here it is, my New York State of Life:

1. The big news: I’m performing with the Grown-up’s Playground on the New York Comedy Club stage this Saturday! The callbacks went well and I’m doing my thing there. However, in infinitely more important news…


2. I’ve bought an orchid and some orchid food. It was expensive. I did this because I really want a pet.

Stick with me here for a second as I attempt to explain away my craziness.

As many people know I had a fish in Chicago who was named Mr. Chubs and he was the light of my life. He died after a couple of months and it was very painful. If I can keep this orchid, whose name is Nero, alive for over a year than I can buy an all black kitten. I bought the orchid on March 17th-let the countdown commence.
(Nero hanging out in my window)

3. I have finally realized why Billy guided me on a life journey that included 5 years of conservatory style acting training; I needed to be prepared for the life of a 3 year old’s favorite playmate.


The main boy I babysit for has entered into a phase of giving me characters and circumstances that fight all logic and extensive dorky knowledge that I posses. I'm hoping that this work will lead to awards. Lately he’s had me use all of my acting techniques to establish a feasible character for these two different story lines:

A) I’m Obi-Wan Kenobi with a beard while he’s Obi-Wan Kenobi without a beard; this is the least of the problems when it comes to this storyline. I aslo have to pretend hat we’re ghosts (but not dead ghosts, because those are scary, just "normal ghosts") and we’re fighting a really big spider.


B) He’s Mr. Freeze (yes, THAT Mr. Freeze) and he’s a super hero (there’s no reasoning with this boy) and I’m girl-Spiderman. We’re fighting the Nazis from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.



At least his imagination is working well.

Lessons NOT learned from Billy’s music this week?

1. Billy has yet to sing a song about this, so you’ll hear it from me first: Macarons are the next cupcakes. If you’re unfortunate enough to be living outside Manhattan and your nearest city is just now becoming inundated with cupcake specialty shops and cup cake mobiles, than you are way behind in the times and are therefore not as evolved as us living in the city.

2. Another opportunity missed by Billy while he was singing about the lights going out on Broadway and 52nd St, was not mentioning that if you’re 18 or under you can get into the Whitney Art Museum for free. They also aren’t big on enforcing ID checks. I had to learn this lesson from friends who were visiting from Baltimore. To stop this from happening in the future I insist Billy immediate rewrite 52nd street with these lyrics:

They say it takes a money to keep a life alive:
In every museum an impossible price to meet,
But if we lie about out ages in overdrive,
We could see some things that are neat...

He would then have to go on to change the title to “75th street,” since the Whitney isn’t on 52nd, but minor details.

Sorry again for the delays. I will be in New York and hanging out with fellow New Yorkers a lot more this coming month, so expect more frequent posts. Including a post later this week about the first huge open call audition I went on a couple of weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment