Monday, September 14, 2009

Why the State of Mind

I guess I should begin with explaining the title of this blog. Wednesday, Thursday, and all of Friday night I put Billy Joel's "New York State Of Mind" on repeat on my I-Tunes. I officially listened to the song 42 times. It was an obsession. Never in the history of my relationship with Billy Joel, have I thought that he was speaking personally to me. I was like that schizpohrenic in a bad cop show who was convinced television was talking directly to me telling me to do bad things. Except Billy would never steer me to murder or steal, but instead to move to NYC. The connection to the lyrics I was getting:

"I'm taking a grey hound..." I took a bus up here.
"It was so easy living day by day..." I found living in Baltimore to be easy
"Out of touch with the Rthym and the Blues" I was never in touch with R&B
"But now I need a little give and take, the New York Times, the Daily News" I'm not sure where Bill was going with this, but I feel it applies to me.
"I don't care if it's Chinatown..." I'M MOVING TO CHINATOWN!

"I don't have any reasons, I left them all behind, I'm in a New York state of mind" Well, I was sold.

Anyway, I suppose the fact of the matter is Billy doesn't really tell you anything about New York in his music. Yeah, sure we learn the he's Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway and that he's in that State of Mind, but how can I apply that to my everyday life as a new New Yorker? I guess it's up to me to fill in the gaps and write about how I learned about living in New York as an unemployed 19 year old actress, by throwing myself into it, with or without Billy's advice and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment