Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Keeping the Faith in Billy

Today Billy Joel did teach me a lesson. The lesson was about missed opportunities; how in this city time wasted is equivalent to lost opportunities. And boy was he harsh when teaching it: Billy's got a new girl friend.


The day after I had made up my mind to move to New York City, the news was announced the Billy Joel would be divorcing his then wife. I took it as a sign from God Billy Joel (people tell me their separate entities, though I’m not convinced) was the right thing to do. God Billy thought that me moving to the city was so right that he was willing to divorce his twenty-something wife to make room in his heart for me.


Well I missed the chance. He’s found himself another girl his daughter’s age to love. And, why? Because I missed my chance: maybe I missed the Craigslist advertisement that would have gotten me an apartment sooner, or the job listing for Billy Joel personal assistant, or maybe I was too busy buying a cookie from Subway and missed my chance to meet him on the street corner. I’ll probably never know why; Billy works in mysterious ways.


I do know that Billy is trying to teach me a lesson though. As I get settled in my job and my apartment I have to change focus and really dedicate myself to actually becoming an actress. If I allow myself to get distracted and start wasting time with the wonders that are New York City, I might just loose my opportunity for my big break. I’ve already lost my chance at Billy heart (even if it is only for a year or two before he gets divorced again), now I can’t afford to lose another opportunity.


I’m putting my faith in Billy’s teachings, and getting my ass in gear. Today I updated my resume, researched acting classes, contacted old teachers and prepared myself, because first thing I’m doing tomorrow is buying a printer, envelopes, and stamps. By tomorrow evening I hope to have my resume and headshot being carried every which direction the mail truck goes. I’m trusting in Billy to help me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment