Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pressure

My acting class has recently ended. I’m making enough money babysitting that I can pay the rent and not starve. I have gone on a couple of auditions, including one where I got a call back, that have gone smoothly. So now there are no more excuses:

Bring on the pressure.



Oh shit. I hope the pressure I’m about to put myself under involves a lot less water, creepy black and white videos, and convulsing in chairs.

(See what I mean about Billy not teaching all that relevant of life lessons in his music?)

The pressure I’m looking to put myself under is jumping into the world of doing seminars and workshops with casting directors and industry professionals.

What it is, for people, out of the know, is this system where you pay a certain amount of money to do monologues, scenes, or some other acting stuff in front of professionals who carry marginal amount of weight with different shows, networks, agencies, ect. Some of the time they also give helpful advise and such, but mostly you just do it for the 1 in 50 chance that they might remember you or take a liking to you and call you in for an audition that you have a 1 in 100 chance of booking that may lead to a 1 in 1000 chance to you making it big.

I’m rethinking things; a trippy psychedelic music video sounds like a great life. Especially if at one point I get to win a fake game show.

Of course it doesn’t end with the seminar/workshop/class. If you really want them to remember you, you gotta’ lay on your charm and follow up with inundating them with your resume. They’ll probably convince me, while they’re at it, that I need to invest in new head shots and post cards. Oh joy.

Joel better propose to me fast so I can get in on some of that money.

Well, right now I'm still looking into which group I want to join, and even then I’ll still have to audition and such. Once in that group I can look through their options and start the whole process. I’ll keep ya’ll updated.

On a side note- in the part of the music video where Billy is a game show contest it says "William Joel, age 29". Which is a big fat lie, cause everybody knows that when Nylon Curtain (the album featuring “Pressure”) came out in 1982 he was 33 years old. And to think he was singing the praises of “Honesty” as early as 1978 in 52nd Street.

I forgive you Billy, after all you're only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment