Friday, October 2, 2009

Worse Comes to Worst

So that job I was talking about? Well as it ends up they hired me for a week and then decided to go with another girl they were training because she had more experience. Yep, Giusseppe and Ricardo let me down. After working there a week and liking the people a lot I was pretty depressed for a good 24 hours there, but this is New York, and I sure as hell wasn’t the first person to have this happen to her and surely won’t be the last.

As Billy Joel so eloquently says in “Worse comes to Worst:”

Oh, fun ain't easy if it ain't free
Too many people got a hold on me
But I know something that they don't know
I know a woman in New Mexico

I may not know any ladies in New Mexico, but I do know that I want to have fun. With those words of wisdom in mind, the great job hunt continues. Now my job hunt for the most part just includes mindless hours of me in front of Craigslist searching desperately for jobs that don’t include “need at least 2 years experience” in the job description. Now when I do find these gems, and boy are they gems, I am always initially excited, but then I remember a great fact about this city: all the other hundreds of unemployed young people (the honest ones who can’t bring themselves to make fake resumes either) are just as excited as me. But despite all that I am still excited about my current job prospects, which include:

A coffee shop near Bryant Park- Interviewed for this job, could have killed it, but the manager was way, way too sexy. He looked like a sexier version of Orlando Bloom. It’s probably best I don’t get this job for said reason.

A hostess position at a way too fancy restaurant in the Theater District-I walked in and “New York State of Mind” was playing, but it was down hill from there. The ad didn’t specify you needed two years experience to work there, but I was pretty much under the impression that you would need 10+ years there. It was an open call for people to come in to interview from 2 to 4. I got there at 3 and I was number 96; they were on interviewing person 36. I looked around at my competition sitting in the restaurant, all late twenty-somethings to early forty-somethings and failed actors, and high tailed my way out of there as soon as Billy stopped serenading me.

Vegan coffee shop near Washington Square-I interviewed there, and while the manager with her nose, lip, and brow piercings seemed perfectly nice and pleasant to me, I’m pretty sure as soon as I walked in wearing my skirt that was 0% all natural fabrics and 100% polyester (and 100% slamming and professional, by the way) I didn’t get the job. Learned a valuable lesson though; always look up the places your interviewing at thoroughly before going in; a fast Google search doesn’t always do the trick.

A “very green conscious” cafĂ©-Have still yet to interview there, but I’m totally stoked for it. Yeah, I barely care enough about the environment to recycle correctly, but I can finally take advantage of the fact that I watched “An Inconvenient Truth” in Chemistry class senior year (thank you Baltimore city school system) and use that knowledge to my utmost benefit. Here’s hoping they don’t ever find my voters registration card. Also, note to self, I will be wearing cotton to that interview, just in case.

Christmas Decoration Store-While this job wouldn’t start until November 2nd, I’m totally feeling the vibe with this one. Sure, I’d probably get so sick of Christmas Music I’d never want to hear it again, but finally a job with no “experience necessary” where I can rock my shit. The job would include personalizing decorations, and if there’s one thing I’ve got on my side its killer hand writing. All I got to do is show them my cursive or my print (when I take my time) and its in the bag. I’m not sure where this confidence in my hand writing comes from, but I’m totally feeling it.

There were many, many, more jobs I applied to, but those were the ones that really stood out in my mind. Anyway, that’s the job update for today. I guess next time I’ll be writing about the joys of “Backstage.com” and trying to sift through the endless auditions for something suitable for me. Here’s hoping Billy was terribly confused when he wrote he had a woman in New Mexico, and really meant he had a woman in China Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment