Thursday, December 10, 2009

Travellin' Prayer


Today was the first time I’ve auditioned with a monologue since my catastrophic first audition back in October. It was to get into a class I was really interested in. If my last audition was the sitcom episode where everything went from bad, to worse to worst, than today was a decidedly better day for my character, though it didn’t start out that way.


I had to wake up at 7 AM this morning so I’d have time to get ready for to my 9:30 audition. Already that’s awful. On top of that it’s raining. Oh, and I left my umbrella at work a couple of days ago. Did I mention that I blew dry my curly hair straight the night before so that I could look slamming for my audition?


Next up, my printer won’t print my resume. I have to restart my computer twice before it’ll work. The skirt I was planning on wearing has wrinkles and I haven’t taken my laundry to the Chinese woman for close to a year now so my clothing options are looking janky. I looked down at the clock, and what do you know? It’s 8:50, I have 30 minutes to make it to Midtown. Fantastic.


The entire time I was walking brusquely to the F train, trying not to slip and fall down since my boots had no traction and there was rain, I was saying a little travelin’ prayer to Billy.


All I can say is this: Ask and you shall receive.


The all loving Billy rigged the trains so that as soon as I was going down all 1000 stairs it takes to get to the platform of the East Broadway stop there was a train, pulling up, waiting for me

.

When I got off the train? The rain had calmed down enough so that my coat hood was enough to save my hair and my mascara.


I got to the audition and what do you know? The auditioner is this sweet woman who happens to be running a bit behind schedule and she lives right around the corner from me. You know, in the trendy area of the Lower East Side.


The Audition goes great. She thinks I’d be great for the class. I’m signed up. Confidence in self officially kicked up a big notch.


But get this, I didn’t even tell ya’ll the best part: the audition took place in the same building as my most disastrous audition to date. Where I had once left that building on a beautiful sunny afternoon on an early fall day, laughing because that beats crying, I left the building in the cold pouring rain this morning I knew that I had Billy on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment