Sunday, January 31, 2010

Half a Mile Away


Half a mile away isn’t really all that far. According to Google maps it’s only a 15 minute walk. Usually you can go that far and be in the same neighborhood you started out in with this city.

In my case I’ve moved a half a mile away (alright, 7/10ths of a mile) and have moved from the border of Chinatown on the LES to the border of Chinatown in Nolita/Soho, and already things are changing in a big way.

Sure, there’s the obvious changes: Now I pay a higher rent, live closer to a lot more subway lines, and bathe in my kitchen (yes, I went for the apartment with the tub in the kitchen counter; for more details see previous post). I no longer wake up to an international house of pancakes going on outside my bedroom as people speaking Norwegian, Swedish, and Pretentiousartist eat breakfast together and loudly try to understand each other.

(Breakfast at my place)

But there’s another big change: This place has been blessed by Joel. Not only does Mulberry Street get it’s name in one of his cherished song titles (I live on the corner of a street intersecting with Mulberry), but in the 24 hours since I’ve moved in, Billy has sent a ton of great things my way. Since moving in yesterday I have gotten two phone calls asking me to come in for job interviews, a offer for single babysitting gig, eaten homemade cupcakes via my new roommate, had a great 24 hours with mom, and watched TV on an actual television. I have to say, cup cakes are a lot more welcoming than a dead mouse when moving into a new place.

(Picture of Mulberry Street circa 2010)

While Billy may be sending good “Surprises” my way, I did have to learn some things without the help of his music when it came to moving:

1. College Educated Movers, while having a lousy name, are excellent at moving things down six flights of stairs and up another 6 flights of stairs, despite their higher level of education.

2. In “Bed, Bath and Beyond” the “Beyond” stands for another dimension, because literarily you enter into another one while in that store. If I didn’t stop and ask 6 different people how to get to the rugs, and from there, how to get out of the store, I would still be wandering around that store lost. Honestly, from the outside it looks like it’s going to be a little bigger than Barnes and Noble size, but on the inside you might as well be at Hershey Park. That being said, they deliver SAME DAY to any place in Manhattan for only $15.

3. Salvation Army has baller furniture. I have nothing really to add to this, but I thought ya’ll should know.

4. Don’t ever ask me to hang a mirror or a picture on your wall. It will come off slightly crooked. Though, then again, maybe you do; I find that a crooked full body mirror has added character to my room.

(Story of my life)

Well, that’s it for today. Sorry for the delay in posts. I know I haven’t been completely living up to my New Year’s Resolutions, but with a new apartment and (knocking on wood) a new job, hopefully soon I'll be keeping up with some of those resolutions I let slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment