Friday, May 28, 2010

Sleeping with the Television on

Billy Joel’s greatest hits (Volumes I through III and the Essential Billy) haven’t been providing the lessons or the inspiration lately for me to maintain this blog at the rate I pledged to do on my To Do list. It pains me to stray from the relationship, especially with a lesser, though not less attractive, lover, but that is what I have done for this week’s update:


I have always had a special connection with Television. I have occasionally downplayed by love for The Entertainer (oh Joel! Please forgive me!), but I have always readily admitted to my love for all things small screen. Since I was four years old, and I was quietly reimaging Full House so that I was the fourth Tanner sister or figuring out how I could replace April on future seasons of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I have frequently seen this world as both how it should be playing out if it were a TV show and how TV shows would be better with me in them.


As I think about the great 90’s shows that took place in the Big Apple, I can’t help but to think about how much I have in common with the classics and where my life could be tweaked:


Seinfeld

What we have in common: There’s a lot going on in my life currently. In fact, so much stuff that I’m pretty sure if a show were to be based on my life it would end up being a show about nothing.


What I could use from the show: Enemies. It would really spice up my life if I had a Soup Nazi to argue with or a Newman to hate so desperately that I would help him work so that he’d get a transfer to Hawaii. I could also use a Kramer, while I’m at it.



The Nanny

What we have in common: I’m a nanny.


What I could use from the show: A romance with a rich English man (or to a close friend of Billy’s). I also wouldn’t mind, for the sake of my memoirs, nannying more children named Brighton.


Friends

What we have in common: I’m a twenty something living in New York City that has friends.


What I could use from the Show: A Central Perk. My life would be so much more convenient, and more entertaining, if I knew that at any given point, if I just showed up at some coffee shop and ordered a drink, anywhere from 1 to 5 (in most cases all 5) of my nearest and dearest friends would be bound to come along within moments. Seriously, how did these people have jobs or lives?



Caroline in the City

What we have in common: My real name is Caroline and I like in New York City. We’re both creative

What I could use from the show: Caroline’s huge success, or just her Manhattan loft. Which ever.


(image from here)

Felicity:

What we have in common: Felicity and I both packed up and moved to New York as teenagers, even though we both graduated from high school planning on being in different cities for college.


What I could use from the Show: A good love triangle. And my life to be written by J. J. Abrams.


What I don’t want from the Show: The dreaded Felicity hair cut.


I included in this list a couple of shows I admit I never watched (cough The Nanny, Caroline in the City) and, in turn, I’ve left off MANY of my favorites (Sex in the City, Will and Grace, Spider Man, just to name a few), but I don’t want to go asking Billy for too much in my prayers. There’s only so much you can ask for from the infallible Big Shot before he just thinks your getting greedy.


(Note to self: add sassy promiscuous 30 something friends, a gay roommate and Spidey-senses to the prayer list tonight)

No comments:

Post a Comment