Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Life

So here’s the skinny on my life this week.



“I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright:”

On the Work Front


Went to my interview with the ornament job and killed it. Though she can’t tell me for sure for a week, she loves my hand writing, thinks I’m cute, and if too many of her old employees are coming back this year and she can’t give me a job, she’ll be suggesting me to other people in the Bryant Park. I’m going to continue to apply to other jobs though; don’t want to be screwed out of work again.


“I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home:”

About The Apartment


I’m really starting to like it more and more. It’s smell a lot less like stink boy/dead mouse in the wall and more like me now. Also since my one roommate and I became cleaning fiends it seems a hell of a lot less ghetto. I have also come to love my neighborhood. Don’t fret though, it’s still plenty ghetto: I found out that the “pull out couch” my roommates spoke of is actually just crappy cushions that pile on top of each other and can be folded out onto the floor while still attached to the couch. Also my roommate lights his cigarettes with the fire from the gas stove and since I lost my wallet in a cab (don’t ask), I currently have a couple hundred dollars cash hiding in my underwear drawer. Yeah, I keep it classy.


“I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life:”

My Acting Life Begins


So I’ve officially started my life in pursuit of the dream. After researching and preparing myself, I’m ready to start auditioning and making things happen for myself. I got an online subscription of Backstage.com where thousands upon thousands of other actresses are. The amount of entertainment related advertisements this website has are insane. There’s casting for commercials, web-videos, non-union films, union films, student films, tv, voice over work, union theater, non-union theater, union musicals, non-union musicals, REALITY TV (why would you pay for a subscription to backstage just to get cast on Big Brother 11 is beyond me), modeling, singers, dancer, singer/dancers, the list goes on.


You can narrow the search, but it’s still ridiculous thinking about the amount of searching that is done every day just to make up our entertainment industry. Its also crazy seeing how much stuff people put into their online resumes, with reels, dozens of headshots/full body shots, and more. Everybody is just looking to have a leg up on the next person and they’ll go to ridiculous lengths to prove it. At the same time, I wonder how much that stuff really helps them. Sure, the reel is probably important if you want to break into film or television, but a shoddily made youtube quality video of you doing a monologue? No thank you.


I have my first audition tomorrow, and I know of more I want to go to next week. Today I went to the Drama book store and felt like a real world New York actor as I found a couple of plays that I heard had good comedic monologues. Now I’m back to memorizing monologues and reading plays and it feels really good and really exciting.


So, to wrap up the things Billy Joel didn’t teach me this week, in his song “my life,” or any other for that matter, 1) stellar handwriting is way important in this city 2) your Chinatown apartment can only get so classy and 3)The people working and looking for work on Broadway are on the same website as people looking to be on the next season “Dance Your Ass Off.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote this so I can keep up with you! It sounds like everything is falling into place so far. Keep your positive attitude and let me know how things are going. I've heard of a couple of really great acting studios to take classes there as well if you are ever looking :). Talk to you soon girl!

    ReplyDelete