Tuesday, October 20, 2009

When in Rome

I’ve officially lived in New York for over a month now. I am certainly all moved in. I guess nothing huge has happened for the past couple of weeks since my last update, with the exception of turning 20 and my apartment's living room going from a delightful shade of Skittle Green to a neutral cream. I decided to update though since I’d hate to keep my fans who read this (A.K.A my mom and Bridget) waiting for too long. So, as Billy Joel sang, and no other person ever could have possibly said before him, “when in Rome do as the Romans do” and I’ve learned to do in New York as the New Yorkers do.

Yep, I lied on a resume.

My roommate told me the café she works at is hiring, and since two girls are going out of town the next couple of weeks, they really need somebody ASAP to fill in and take a lot of shifts for that time. Now as many of you know, I do have my Christmas ornament job, but even NYC, the king of Christmas-comes-early, doesn’t start hamming it up until November 6th (ok, November 1, but my job starts November 6th). So I could really use the cash, and I would love to have something to fill up my day besides staring at the casting calls that don’t fit my type.

I asked my roommate if I should lie on my resume; as it ends up she had already lied for me when she was telling her manager. Somehow, that made it seem better as I took out one of my old jobs from my real resume and added in a hostess position. I was even honest enough with myself to title the word document "faux resume." I'm trying not to feel to terrible about it, after all, I HAVE worked as a hostess, sure it was for a week and I lost the job to some tall model bitch, but I’ve done it! I was just stretching the truth; I claimed I did it for 3 months over the summer back home. Still I felt a huge pang of guilt, especially thinking about how important "matter(s) of trust" and "honesty" are to Bily.

In truth, it might not have helped me anyway. He seemed pretty enthusiastic in the interview, but he did tell me that he has been interviewing other girls, and he was looking for somebody with waitressing experience, though it wasn’t “100% necessary.” Sigh.

Now, onto the acting front:
I have had two auditions since my last catastrophe and I am pleased to say that they went swimmingly! Both were for student films, the first one I knew I wouldn’t get because it ended up she was looking for a girl younger looker than me, and the second one went really well, but if I don’t get it than I don’t get it. No skin off my back, at least I didn’t flub up the monologue or bring in the wrong resume. I even fit in as a real New York actor in the green rooms waiting for my audition; I am also shaking out my jowl, looking deep in thought while staring out into nothing, and checking my email on my phone like I’m actually waiting for an important email!

Meanwhile, I’ve been looking a lot on Backstage.com for more auditions. It’s pretty hard shifting through it all to find stuff that I’d be appropriate for, and even when I do, there’s a good chance when I submit my resume that I wont hear back from them. Really, I’m starting to get anxious for my audition class to start. When I first got here it was at an awkward time for classes because nearly all classes start is the beginning of September and I wasn’t here until the 16th, so the earliest class I could sign up for at a good studio is October 27th. I’ve been doing some cool movement classes, but I really want to get back to doing monologues and scenes in front of teachers to see where I’m going with my auditions and get me back into shape. It’ll also be good to be in class with other people who are doing the same thing I’m doing so that I can get pointers from them as well as the teacher on where I should be looking for work. I don’t yet understand the full ins and outs of being a New York actress, but its still early, and there’s plenty of time for me to still do as the New Yorkers do.

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome that you've been making it out to auditions so early in your adventure there. It can take a long time to settle in. Acting Classes will be awesome. I'm sure an auditioning class will offer tons of reassurance. It's so good to hear that everything is going well :) Keep me updated. I'll be seeing you at Thanksgiving I presume! Love you toto :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watch out with that filename... if you make a PDF or something, it may be hidden in the file. I've seen it happen. ;)

    ReplyDelete