Thursday, October 22, 2009

Careless Talk


So lately there have been a lot of stories about New York that aren’t really relatable to this blog because they’re not really related to acting or work. That isn’t to say that I haven’t learned lessons from my personal life though. Billy Joel teaches in mysterious ways and here are the lessons I’ve learned while waiting for him to come and marry and/or serenade me:


1. While bacon and potatoes are delicious, they do not make the best diet for your digestive system. And probably not for your weight either.


2. Your gaydar might not be really as sharp as you thought it was. As it ends up I have the opposite problem that Cher had in Clueless. Though, that doesn’t stop it from being great sitcom worthy material. I estimate I could get at least two solid side-arches out of it, and a couple of quick recurring jokes throughout a few season run.


3. It doesn’t matter how normal looking a person might look sitting across from you on the train: you still shouldn’t be surprised when they start talking or singing to themselves.


4. Its hard cooking/baking when you’re scared of the filth that’s on the inside of the oven. If moving into a “well-lived-in” apartment learn how to make everything either on the stove or in the microwave. Or, get really good at making a certain dish/dessert so you feel like you can have an excuse to say “hey why don’t I come over and cook you some of my amazing _________,” thus allowing you to take advantage of friend’s oven. I still haven’t found that dish for myself. Also, on a side note, I think this lesson relates a lot to the first lesson


5. Learn how to say “hello” in Chinese (“Nín hǎo!”), and while your Chinese neighbors may not say it back to you, they’ll feel less inclined to let the door to your building shut in your face. Who knows, you might even get that neighbor who’s having marital problems the floor below you to say “hello” (in English!) when he’s going down and your going up the stairs. How do I know he’s having marital problems? I don’t really, but I hear yelling coming from that apartment along with the baby crying a lot, along with the occasional man who isn’t the husband going in and out, and I like to assume that there’s a Chinese soap opera going on right below me.


To that was your “Careless Talk” from me for the day. I can only hope that one day Billy will compile these useful lessons into a song, but until that day I hope these lessons I learned the hard way will help you. Also, don't look up the lyrics to the song "Careless Talk" in hopes of finding insight to why I titled this post that, it wont help you. I was just feeling the "Careless Talk" so I went for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment